Commissioner Eileen Higgins helps local businesses learn ways to thrive during National Small Business Week
Commissioner Eileen Higgins of Miami-Dade County has always tried to ensure that small businesses in District 5 have access to the tools, knowledge, and opportunities they need to thrive. She is working with other regional and national groups, as well as agencies in Miami-Dade County and organizations that help small businesses, to create a jam-packed schedule of activities from May 1 through 5 in honor of National Small Business Week. She will also be making an announcement that week on financing possibilities and initiatives that will help small businesses in her district.
Commissioner Higgins efforts to support small businesses
After launching her Elevate District 5 initiative this year, Commissioner Eileen Higgins has helped over 200 local businesses so far, and that figure is expected to climb. On Monday, May 1, Commissioner Higgins will hold a press event to officially announce the District 5 Mom & Pop Small Business Grant Program for 2023.
Every year, the program evolves to meet the needs of regional businesses in the wake of new challenges. In 2018, the effort was initiated to support companies along the West Flagler Street corridor that were adversely affected by the ongoing development. In 2020, the government launched a fund to help businesses that had to close because of the epidemic.
The program's grants helped over 90 companies in 2022 with things like new machinery, marketing materials, inventory, liability insurance, and safety upgrades.
What National Small Business Week will look like
- The 2023 Mom & Pop grant program will begin on Monday at Suazo’s Barbershop - 2152 NW 7th St, Miami, FL 33125.
- Tuesday, Commissioner Eileen Higgins will hold an information session during small business week for small business owners interested in applying May 2 at 2PM via Zoom register here.
- On Wednesday, experts from Commissioner Eileen Higgins' Elevate D5 and the Miami Dade Business Navigator will offer a Webinar titled "Marketing 101," during which they will discuss the fundamentals of marketing, such as identifying a target market and creating a promotional strategy within a certain budget register here.
- On Wednesday, local companies are invited to a celebration and networking mixer where they can meet their contemporaries, potential partners, and other interested parties. May 3 at 6 PM at 200 S Biscayne Blvd #2929, Miami, FL 33131, for small businesses in District 5 to connect with peers, some resource providers, and several stakeholders register here.
- On Thursday, the Division of Environmental Regulations, the Chief Bay Officer, and Debris Free Oceans will offer a free webinar teaching local businesses in Miami-Dade County about becoming Plastic Free 305 Certified register here.
- Then, on Friday as small business week comes to a close, local company owners get to meet local banks, credit unions, and other lenders, along with representatives from community partners, to get information about grants and loans Friday, May 5, at 10AM at the Penthouse located at Riverside Wharf - 125 SW North River Dr, Miami, FL 33130 register here.
Are you excited to attend these small business week events? Let us know your thoughts below.
At Calle Ocho News, we love bringing the best of Miami to the spotlight, whether that's the latest news, inspiring locals, or small businesses making moves in the community. If you're small business looking for advertising opportunities in Miami, consider working with us. We'll help you reach a global readership of thousands, both in print and online.