Press button to play/pause.
We are not getting any younger; let us not only focus on our elderly’s health but ours as well. Did you know Hispanics have the longest life expectancy rate in the U.S.? Therefore, it is smart to look for easy opportunities to maximize our quality of life as we age. Stocking your kitchens with more avocados is one way to provide more access to dietary choices known for promoting healthy aging.
Good fats, fiber, lutein and other bioactives found in avocados are particularly effective at enriching neural lutein levels; so eating fresh avocados daily can help improve cognitive brain function (working memory and problem-solving skills) in older adults. This September for National Grandparents Day, remember to take a moment to celebrate the lives of your grandparents and elders. Toast to loved ones with a creamy Açai and Avocado Smoothie. Healthy avocados are a nutrient-dense, versatile fruit that can be eaten alone or used in a variety of tasty recipes; just one more reason to love avocados!
Açai and Avocado Smoothie
- 1 ripe, fresh avocado, halved, pitted and peeled
- 1 banana, peeled and sliced
- 1 (3.5oz.) packet frozen acai puree unsweetened
- 2 cups pineapple juice, 100% juice, unsweetened
- 2 cups crushed ice
- 2 Tbsp. lime juice
- Combine avocado, banana, acai puree, pineapple juice, ice, and lime juice in blender and puree until smooth. Serve immediately.