National Hispanic Heritage Month – in full swing through October 15 – calls for the celebration of our Latin American history and culture. There are many achievements and traditions worth honoring, but none more revered than our cuisine.
Bursting with flavor, color and comfort, Hispanic cuisine calls on the use of traditional ingredients like the delicious and healthy fresh avocado.
This popular fruit is more than just a cultural staple –it’s packed with health benefits too. Fresh avocados are a nutrient-rich food that provide nearly 20 vitamins, minerals and beneficial plant compounds. Furthermore, healthy avocados are sugar-free, virtually the only healthy fruit with naturally good fats, and are a good source of fiber.
These health benefits are especially important for our community.
Although Hispanics have a higher life expectancy rate in the U.S., we are nearly twice as likely to develop type 2 diabetes compared to non-Latino whites.
The good news is we can reduce this risk with every meal through the choices we make when food shopping.Diets rich in healthy foods containing fiber – such as some vegetables and fruits like fresh avocado – may reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes, heart disease and obesity. Healthy avocados contain 3g of fiber per serving (1/3 of a medium avocado).
While we celebrate all we love about our culture,we don’t have to trade our health for our favorite recipes – so long as we incorporate healthy foods like fresh avocados. Eating a variety of fruits and vegetables may help control weight, cholesterol and blood pressure, and can make our most beloved meal seven more colorful, creamy and fresh.
Fresh Avocados – Love One Today®put a healthy spin on a variety of traditional recipes for you and your loved ones to enjoy during Hispanic Heritage Month (and all year long.)
- Fresh avocado enhances your nutrient intake AND the texture of your flan in this Rich and Creamy Avocado Flan recipe.
- This Baked Chile Relleno with Avocado, Butternut Squash and Cheeserecipe skips the deep-frying and egg coating, but gives you all the comfort.
- Satisfy your lunchtime hankerings with this Gordita with Beans and Jalapeños or Chicken, Black Beans and Avocado Arepas with Avocado Dressing.
- This Tamale Pie with Avocado is a cross between a tamale and a pie and a perfect way to use your leftover corn masa. It uses fresh avocado to hold the corn masa together.
- Skip the chips and take over the produce section for this colorful Avocado Veggie Nacho Bake.
Visit here for more fresh avocado recipes from Fresh Avocados- Love One Today®.