Miami News

Non-citizens can acquire FEMA assistance for Hurricane Ian

FEMA assistance is available for victims of Hurricane Ian that are non-citizens as well as established citizens

It's been a week since Hurricane Ian wrecked havoc in Southwest Florida. Victims are still trying to get their lives back on track by dealing with the aftermath. Although many people have relocated, they still have to overcome different challenges.

Some Floridians have lost loved ones, while others have no roof over their heads, and the rest need assistance to get back on their feet. Fortunately, the Federal Emergency Management Agency has mentioned that they’re offering help for Hurricane Ian survivors.

FEMA assistance for Hurricane Ian is applicable for survivors in Charlotte, Putnam, Hardee, Lake, Collier, Osceola, DeSoto, Polk, Highlands, Lee, St. Johns, Seminole, Flagler, Orange, Hillsborough, Volusia, Pinellas, Manatee, and Sarasota.

Here's more on this matter.

Who can apply for FEMA assistance for Hurricane Ian?

U.S citizens and non-citizens, and qualified aliens are free to apply for FEMA assistance for Hurricane Ian. Qualified aliens include green card holders, refugees, asylees, and Haitian or Cuban applicants.

Moreover, qualified aliens are also ones whose children have been harassed or whose parents have been ill-treated. Aliens qualifying for FEMA assistance are ones that have experienced cruelty, human trafficking, and are people with U or T visas.

Non-citizen nationals are individuals born in remote areas of the United States, such as American Samoa, or whose parents are non-citizen nationals of the United States (all U.S. citizens are U.S. nationals but not the other way around).

What to do if you don’t qualify as either?

FEMA’s logo and U.S flag

If individuals don't qualify as U.S citizens, qualified aliens, or non-citizen nationals, they can still receive FEMA’s assistance for Hurricane Ian by applying for IHP assistance.

Individuals are eligible for IHP if an adult from their household fits the criteria and proves their citizenship during registration. A parent or guardian of a minor child (a U.S citizen, non-citizen, or qualified alien) can also apply for assistance for the children if they live in the same home.

Stay updated about this matter and other initiatives to help Hurricane Ian victims by subscribing to Calle Ocho News and keeping up with the latest happenings, news, and more from Miami.

Stay up to date with the latest news from Miami

Add Comment

Click here to post a comment