10 most popular uses for baking soda that will change your life
There are hundreds of uses for baking soda, as a growth agent for baked goods or for health purposes. But what exactly is this powder? Baking soda is 100% sodium bicarbonate which is a salt composed of sodium ions and bicarbonate ions. It also contains natron, a mineral which is found in many mineral springs. But enough chemistry for today. What you need to remember is that you can always keep a pack of it in your cabinet because you never know when you'll need it. More than that, baking soda is one of the most inexpensive home remedy on the market. You can buy a pack for under $1.
Here are some amazing uses of baking soda:
- Teeth whitener: Use a mixture of one teaspoon of baking soda and water once a week for pearly white teeth. Rub the paste on your teeth, let it sit for 3 minutes then rinse with warm water. It's a good solution for plaque removal and helps you keep a fresh breath.
- Hair cleanser: You can add a teaspoon of baking soda to your shampoo. Rub them into your hair and rinse with water. This way you will remove dirt, sebum and hair product residue and it is also an anti-dandruff remedy.
- Dry shampoo option: When you are in a hurry and you don't have time to wash your hair properly, just sprinkle a few pinches of baking soda onto your roots, ruffle your hair and then brush it.
- The best exfoliator: If you want to remove dead skin cells out of your face, hands, feet, cuticles or body in general, you can use the magical powder in either case. Mix one teaspoon of baking soda with one cup water. You can add a few drops of your favourite oil, like olive oil or argan oil to soften the skin. After gently rubbing the mixture in a circular motion, rinse it with water.
- Natural deodorant: Create a milky paste by combining baking soda and water. Apply it under your underarms or on your feet. It will remove bacteria and odors, and it will help to prevent toenail fungus. If you chopped onions or garlic and you can't get rid of the smell, you can apply the substance on your hands too.
- Sunburn cure: Dissolve half a cup of baking soda into your bath water. Soak in it for 15 - 30 minutes.
- Bug bite soother and itchy skin relief: Apply a paste made from one teaspoon of baking soda and water on bug bites or itchy spots on the skin due to allergic reactions or other affections.
- Heartburn or indigestion: Mix half teaspoon with two cups of water and drink it, this way you will neutralize the stomach acid.
- Healthy kidneys: Low-functioning kidneys have a hard time removing acid from the body and by consuming baking soda you will keep a balanced pH level in your body.
- Exercise enhancer: Baking soda has the ability to absorb the lactic acid that accumulates in your muscles during workout. Put one teaspoon of baking soda into your water and drink it before going to the gym. It will delay the fatigue and it will reduce muscle soreness.
Note: Consuming sodium bicarbonate orally is safe but it could interact with different drugs like aspirin, barbiturates, calcium supplements, corticosteroids and many others. It is also not recommended for people with edema, liver disease, kidney disease, high blood pressure or if you are pregnant or breastfeeding. So before consuming it, you should ask your doctor. Do not consume too much baking soda because it can cause nausea, diarrhea, stomach cramps and heart problems.