It is National Fruits and Veggies Month. What are you doing to add more fruits and veggies to your meals?
One easy option is by adding fresh avocados to your daily meal routines! Avocados are a fresh fruit that can act as a “nutrient booster” by helping increase the absorption of fat-soluble nutrients like vitamins A, D, K and E. They also provide naturally good fats, are low in saturated fat, and are cholesterol- and sodium-free. According to the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute, it is estimated that if Americans ate the recommended amounts of fruits and vegetables every day, approximately 39,900 deaths would be prevented from cardiovascular diseases, stroke and diabetes. Make your next plate rainbow-colored with different veggies and fruits like healthy fresh avocado.
This Heart-Healthy Avocado and Banana Overnight Oats is not only filled with a variety of fresh fruit but also makes the perfect (did we mention filling?) go-to breakfast item for the hardworking dads in your life for Father’s Day!
- 1/2 ripe, fresh avocado, halved, pitted and peeled
- 1 small banana, sliced
- 2 Tbsp. orange juice
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup berries (strawberries, blueberries, blackberries)
- 1/8 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/8 cup unsweetened almond milk
- Combine avocado, banana and orange juice in a small bowl.
- Place half of the oats in a 1 pint mason jar. Top with berries and half of the avocado mixture. Add remaining oats and sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Top with remaining avocado mixture.
- Pour in milk. Cover and chill overnight.
Tip: Start the day strong with a colorful breakfast, loaded with veggies and fruits like fresh avocado.
Fresh avocados not only heart healthy, they also fit into a variety of delicious recipes for all your meals. Find various tasty avocado recipes – from soups to salads to smoothies and appetizers – all of which can fit into sensible eating plans at Saborea Uno Hoy