Now that we are celebrating National Nutrition Month let us take a step back and think about the food we eat. When we hear the word “fat,” we mainly only think of one kind. We think of the bad fat, the one doctors tell us to stay away from, but let us talk about the good fats. Good fats do not raise LDL “bad” cholesterol levels. Did you know that fresh avocados have naturally good fat? The body needs some dietary fat to help with absorption of nutrients, but not all fats are the same and keeping a healthy balance of fat intake is key.
Read about the nutrients in avocado here.
Remember, eating healthy doesn’t mean sacrificing flavor! this Avocado and Mango Topper that can be used on top of any grilled protein of your choice. If you are doing meatless Fridays, grill a fish if not, grill a chicken. This topper with healthy avocados contribute nearly 20 vitamins, minerals and beneficial plant compounds that can enhance the nutrient quality of the diet.
- 2 ripe, fresh avocados, halved, pitted, peeled and diced
- 1 ripe mango, peeled and diced
- 1 cup tomato, seeded, diced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. red onion, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. jalapeño pepper, minced
- 1 Tbsp. lime juice
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- In a medium bowl, combine mango, tomato, cilantro, onion, jalapeño, lime juice, salt, and pepper.
- Add avocado and toss gently.
You can find various heart-healthy avocado recipes, traditional favorites, desserts and more from across Latin America at Saborea Uno Hoy®.