Replace the heavy cream with some buttery avocado in this rich tomato soup
Here we are again with another avocado recipe recommended by the American Heart Association and this time we have a creamy avocado tomato soup which is perfect for chilly days. The soup is rich in vitamin A and vitamin C, Potassium, Calcium, Omega 3 Fatty Acid, Folic Acid, fiber and proteins.
Ingredients for 8 servings:
- 1 tbsp. olive oil;
- 3/4 cup chopped onion;
- 2 cloves garlic (minced);
- 1 14.5 – ounce can diced tomatoes in juice;
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste;
- 1 1/2 low sodium tomato juice;
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth;
- 2 ripe, fresh Hass avocados* (halved, pitted, peeled and sliced)
- 2 tsp. sugar;
- 1/2 tsp. pepper;
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme.
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and stir frequently about 5 minutes until translucent. Add garlic and cook 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes and their juice, tomato paste, tomato juice, sugar, pepper and dried thyme.
- Stir in the chicken broth, increase heat to medium high and bring soup to a boil. Then reduce the heat and let the soup simmer for 5 minutes. Let it cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Cut 1-1/2 of the avocados into cubes and add them to the cooled tomato mixture.
- Use an immersion blender or a food processor to puree the mixture until it becomes smooth.
- Add the mixture back to pot and reheat it before serving. Slice the remaining avocado half and place the slices on top of soup. You can also drizzle it with olive oil and garnish with fresh thyme.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe.
The recipe was provided by Fresh Avocados – Love One Today